Today I met with Tom Hoare, to discuss and plan our collaborated project, to swap ideas and come up with a strategy to complete the video in two weeks.
The audio from interviews will provide the narration, and will be supported by shots illustrating the potential negative impacts of the Trolleybus (traffic, environmental damage, danger), or positive things that the proposed plan will destroy (trees, businesses, woodhouse moor, LCA’s facilities).
- We agreed that the film should focus a bit less on the implications for Leeds College of Art. Because although the college is important to us, focusing on this may not be the most persuasive angle.
- Instead we want to emphasise the opinions of local residents as they are likely to be most affected by the plans, and have very personal concerns.
- We decided to still include a section about the impacts on college, as it is important to us. For this we hope to get an interview with the senior management team at LCA, ideally the Principal -Simone Wonnacott.
- We think its important to still include Fran’s interview, as the voice of students at LCA, because she knows and cares a lot about the implications of the proposal, and has been campaigning in protest of the scheme.
(Tom said that as project manager, he could arrange the interviews with the senior management team, and with the locals via the ‘Stop the Trolleybus’ Facebook group.)
I suggested a rough plan of shots to try to get as soon as possible, without having to wait until after the interviews, based on predictions of things the people will talk about. This included footage of:
- Busy junctions,
- Businesses which will be demolished
- Parts of the Moor that will be removed
- The outdoor seating area at College
- Students crossing dangerous roads
After the meeting, Tom sent me links to the Council’s PDF plans. Looking at them was tricky but eventually I could work the specific areas that would be: affected, demolished, or force purchased. This gave me clear idea of exactly what I would need to film and where.
I decided I would try to film shots of around Leeds in the Hyde Park Corner area over the weekend, and film around College on Monday. Here is our timetable for the project, which Tom put together: